Our computer classes are aimed at beginning to intermediate computer users. Patrons who are just beginning with computers are strongly encouraged to start with the Basic Mouse and Basic Computers classes. All classes following Basic Mouse and Basic Computers require a general proficiency with the mouse and keyboard. All attendees in more advanced classes will be pre-screened for skill level before each class.
Registration for each computer class opens the week before the class and closes two days before the class. Patrons may sign up for a class by stopping by the Reference Desk or by calling 409-643-5977. Registration slots are granted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Unless otherwise noted, all potential students must come to the library at 9:30 am for pre-class screening. Computer classes run about an hour. Admission for most classes is limited to 10 people per class.
For more information, please contact the Reference Desk at 409-643-5977.
Check out Universal Class, a service provided by the library that gives you access to more than 500 online non-credit continuing education courses, including many in computers. Some of the areas its courses cover: Business applications, computer basics, computer programming, image editing, HTML, Microsoft applications, photography, software and technology skills. You will need your 14-character library card number to create an account.
We also have a great deal of computer-related instruction books in our collection. Search our library catalog or ask for help from a librarian at the Reference Desk.
General Computer Help
- Computer Basics (GCF Learn Free)
A mouse or touchpad is typically what's used to navigate around your computer and select text or files. Below are some exercises that will familiarize you to common mouse-related tasks:
- Mousing Around (Palm Beach County Library)
- New User Tutorial / Cursillo para El Usuario Nuevo (TLN Technology Committee)
- Video: Using the Mouse (The Dark Eyes Raven via YouTube)
Introduction to the Internet
- Internet Basics (GCF Learn Free)
- Video: How the Internet Works in 5 Minutes (Security Catalyst via YouTube)
- Video: How Does the Internet Work? (Data Centers Canada via YouTube)
Searching the Web
- Basic Search Help (Google)
- Google Tips and Tricks (Google)
- Power Searching with Google (Google)
- How Search Works (Google)
- Bare Bones 101: A basic tutorial on searching the web (University of South Carolina Beaufort Library)
- Video: Searching the Web (TheVCRD via YouTube)
- Video: Google Search Tips (GoogleWebmasterHelp via YouTube)
- Email Basics (GCF LearnFree)
- Video: How to open a Gmail (Google email) account (InPhotomation via YouTube)
- Microsoft Excel 2007 (Baycon Group)
- Microsoft Excel 2010 (Microsoft)
- Microsoft Excel 2013 (Microsoft) Excel Easy
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 (Baycon Group)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (Microsoft)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 (Microsoft)
- Introduction to Photoshop (University of North Carolina Health Sciences Library)