Texas Certified Firefighter / Paramedic
The Texas City Fire Department is always in search of highly motivated, energetic, and career-oriented individuals that desire a rewarding career in the fire service. Our fire department offers a variety of emergency services to the community which provides a successful candidate with the proper initiative an opportunity to train and excel in many different fire, rescue, and life-saving disciplines such as:
- Confined space/high-angle rescue
- Hazardous materials
- Industrial firefighting
- Marine firefighting
- Residential/commercial firefighting
- Water rescue
- And more!
If you want to train and work with the best firefighters in Texas, this is the place!
Why Texas City?
There is something for everyone to enjoy in the "City by the Bay." Spend a day at the Texas City Dike, the longest man-made fishing pier in the world, and enjoy great fishing and boating opportunities along with beaches and covered picnic areas, or rent a bike and cruise around our hike and bike trails. Texas City also sponsors dozens of family-friendly special events throughout the year such as the Annual Firefighter Games, Touch-a-Truck, Old Smokey Cook-off, Lone Star Deluxe Car Show, and much more.
For those seeking unique shopping, dining, and entertainment opportunities, take a stroll through Downtown 6th Street, a fast-growing entertainment district in the heart of Texas City, or visit Tanger Outlets featuring 80 different stores of all kinds.
Texas City also offers a broad range of housing opportunities. Whether you are looking for a new home in a master-planned community, a fixer-upper, luxury apartment, or a home right on the water, Texas City has you covered.
Texas City is also proud of its high-quality school district and local community college. Along with numerous academic recognitions, the Texas City Independent School District (TCISD) features award-winning athletics, fine arts, and robotics programs. TCISD is also home to a world-class Industrial Trade Center which provides students an opportunity to graduate high school with certifications in construction, welding, and pipe-fitting, automotive technology, machining, electrical trades, maritime and more.
When you compare the quality of life in our community, Texas City is the clear choice for you and your family. Come see why Texas City is a great place to live, work, and play!
Applicants must be between 18 to 35 years of age at the time of employment, compensation/benefits include:
- 156 personal hours
- 180 sick leave hours (accumulative)
- 192 vacation hours
- 240 holiday hours
- 53-hour workweek plus additional incentive pays may apply commensurate with training and experience
- Annual Salary $68,175.36 with Basic Fire Fighter and Paramedic certifications
- Employee Deferred Compensation Plan available
- Employee Health/Dental/Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- Local Defined Benefit Retirement System (16% Match)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Ability to exhibit emotional stability and technical expertise in hazardous environments while functioning under extreme stress
- Ability to reason abstractly using highly technical and mechanical concepts
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment physical ability test, structured interview, medical exam, drug screen, and background check
- Effective oral and written communicative skills in English
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Must demonstrate effective interpersonal skills in the workplace and community
- Valid Texas Driver's License
Hiring preference given to applicants who possess:
- TCFP Fire Certification and Texas Paramedic Certification
- Texas Paramedic Certification
- TCFP Fire Certification/EMT Basic
- Or eligible to obtain certification through IFSAC, Pro Board, or NREMT certification(s) at time of employment offer
Required to possess or obtain the following Certifications or Licenses:
- Basic (or higher level) Fire Certification with the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP). Lack of Basic (or higher level) Fire Certification with the Texas Commission on Fire Protection at time of employment extends the probationary period to eighteen months
- Confined Space/High Angle Rescue certification
- CPR Instructor certification
- Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic certification with the Texas Department of State Health Services
- Industrial Firefighting certification
- NIMS - ICS 100, 200. 700 and 800
- TCFP Hazardous Materials Technician Certification
- TCFP Marine Firefighting Basic Certification
- Texas Driver's License, DOT Class B CDL
- Water Rescue certification
The application period is always open.
Call 409-643-5700 or you can pick up an application at:
1725 25th Street North
Texas City, Tx 77590
You can also fax the completed application to 409-643-5719 or email the Fire Department.
The City of Texas City is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace and shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, sex, national origin, religion, race, handicap or disability, or other protected areas under federal, state, or local laws.