Medication Drop-Box Receptacles
There are seven drop-box locations in Galveston and Southeast Harris Counties. All are open 24 hours a day with the exception of one. Liquid medications, injectable sharps (needles), and illegal drugs cannot be placed in drop-boxes. The locations are these drop-boxes are:
- Community Service Bureau
220 West Defee
- Dickinson Police Department
4000 Liggio Street
- Galveston Police Department
601 54th Street
- La Porte Police Department
3001 North 23rd Street
La Porte, TX
- Nassua Bay Police Department
1800 Space Park Drive
Municipal Building, Suite 200
Hours: Monday through Thursday through 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and 7:30 am to 11:30 am on Fridays
- Santa Fe Police Department
4925 Main Street
Santa Fe, TX
3707 Spencer Highway
Other Disposal Options
Rules to follow if disposing of medications in the household trash:
- Injectable drugs or needles can be placed into a milk container (clean) or purchase a sharps container from a local pharmacy for proper trash disposal.
- Mix medications (tablets, capsules, liquids) with an unappealing substance such as sand or kitty litter. You can also use used coffee grounds.
- Place the mixture into a sealed plastic bag and throw the container into your household trash.
- Scratch out all personal information on your medication bottles.
Flushing of medications is not always off-limits.
If you need further information, please call one of these numbers:
- FDA Hotline: 855-543-3784
- Poison Control Hotline: 800-222-1222