In 1893, a group of investors forms the Texas City Improvement Company and files the plat for a planned community. Shoal Point post office is closed, and the Texas City post office is opened. The area becomes known as Texas City. A railroad link is established to the community. Docks are built and small boat traffic uses the channel and a fledgling port. In 1900, the Galveston storm does major damage to Texas City property.