In 1928, the City of Texas City allocated a room in the newly built City Hall for a public library. The Texas City Civic Club operated the library in this space until 1948.
The City Hall building was damaged in the 1947 explosion and later demolished. The library was relocated to a former house at 5th Street and 9th Avenue N At this time, the library was renamed the Moore Memorial Public Library in honor of Hugh Benton Moore and Helen Moore.
In 1964, the library moved into its present facilities, built especially for the library. In 1986,the building was expanded to its present size of 21,000 square feet.
The Moore Memorial Public Library provides services free of charge to all Texas residents. Visitors from other states and nations are welcome to use library services as well, but may not check out library materials.